Sunday 1 February 2009

At the car wash, talking about the car wash yeah...become a car washing machine

Wherever you go these days you will see car washers waiting to pounce. Unlike the ubiquitous windscreen washers at the roadside, who come at you whilst the lights are red, these guys do it for a living. You park at your local store, whilst you are whizzing around the aisles collecting your groceries, they can make your car look as good as new.

Now I don't know about you, but when I wash my car I have to plan in advance. First thing, is the weather good, where in the shed did I hide the hose, is the garden tap still seized, where's the brush/leathers/bucket....and more. (Do you see what I am getting at, what an effort, so why would you want to do that. I am sure I am not alone. So now the boys in the car park get my business. It's a growth area in the economy! Why not tap into it.

How to get started? Well obviously you need a bucket and cloths, some soap a chamois and gloves if it is cold. Start with a rinse to loosen the grime and mud, start at the top and work down, then good old soap and water, focus on the body, then the wheels. Rinse of then rub down with a chamois, once again top to bottom, wring the chamois out when it gets to wet.

Finding a market: Start with the local area you live in. Drop cards through the door of immediate neighbours. Sound out the opposition, what are the boys in the supermarkets charging (I pay around £6 usually). Then it's get to work.

If you are feeling really athletic take it to the next level, go the whole hog and offer a Valet service. The plus side is you will earn more money, the down side is you are up against a stiff opposition from people like Simply Valet an essex based valeting company. Hey here's an idea I wonder if the franchise (oh hang on I am getting ahead of myself.)

On the subject of windscreen wipers, at this time of year with salt on the road and regular cold snaps, there may well be some cash to be made if you are near to a busy (but not fast moving road). Its difficult to know what the proposition should be, but I suggest a small change charge for a quick wipe. Stick under 50p. Be prepared for drive aways. Alternatively wander around you local car parks offering a quick clean. Don't forget to offer to clean the number plates, remind people that an obscured number plate can cost them an on the spot fine.